vendredi 26 août 2011

Surfing the bus...

I should post a detailled explanation of the urban mass transportation transit system here in Curitiba - it is both interesting and fundamental to know when looking at the city and its urabn layout.

Anyway, I'll just mention some experiences here. Wednesday was my first day at work, and therewith my first day trying to use the bus as mean of transportation to work, and not just getting around randomly in the city. When you don't know where you are going, ask...which I did and do constantly. 'Disculpa, falla inglés? I have to reach Terminal Cabral/Rua Bom Jesus...' A very nice guy helped me on the way, stopping at the same station as me, putting me on my right transit bus. On those thirty minutes of waiting, driving, humping, bumping on the road, you get through the basic questions: origin, purpose of being in the city, how long have you been here, oh you have been to Europe...where and when and blablabla? But it makes this morning trip so enjoyable - thanks to you dear stranger.

On the way back, it is a lady who must have read the typical stupid tourist face. She asks me where I am going, tells me the right station to change (yes, because I forgot where I changed in the morning...), gives me her daughter's phone number to call her: 'My daughter is very intelligent. She travels a lot. She speaks English, French...Please call her. She'll be happy to help and maybe take you to some place. Her name is Daisy.' Later I take the wrong bus again but helped by another young girl I get home to Bigorrilho, to the flat, get the keys from the porteiro and finally home.

Well, before home, I get a nice chat with the porteiro (doorman) as well. He knows I don't speak fluent Portguese - well it is obvious. But points at some objects and give me their name. Today again I had my twenty-thirty minutes language course with him - Serge. He thinks I am getting things fast and will learn quickly to speak well. Nice :-)

All those meetings with people touch me profoundly - I am positively surprised by so much generosity. Even though I am told it is because I am a curiosa from Europe and people think it funny/nice/interesting to help me, maybe practice their english... I was told as well that I shouldn't put too much hopes in all this, that it'll fade out with time. But hey...I'll take it happily as long as I get it. It just makes the stay so enjoyable and I cannot be thankfull enough for those great moments of sharing between strangers.

Oh yeah, and talking about surfing the bus - it is really a sport! Those 'tubo' express lines really apply the true meaning of 'express'. Hang on to the bar and bend your knees, find your balance while trying not to bump too much into the other people. And on rush hours - meaning that extra speed is in order - you litterally take off on some of those bumps the bus crosses!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire